The Universal Trading Company has obtained a license to introduce a new product for 6 years. The product would be purchased from manufacturing company for $10 per unit and sold to customers for $20 per unit. The estimated annual cash expenses to sell the new product would be $18,000. Other information associated with the new product is given below:
- Cost of equipment needed: $30,000
- Working capital needed: $40,000
- Repairs and maintenance of equipment after 5 years: $2,500
- Residual value of equipment after 6 years: $5,000
The working capital would be released at the end of 6-year period. The expected annual sales are 5,000 units of product. The discount rate of the company is 16%.
- Compute net present value (NPV) of the new product. (Ignore income tax).
- Would you recommend the addition of new product?
(1) Net present value (NPV) of new product:
*Value from “present value of an annuity of $1 in arrears table“.
**Value from “present value of $1 table”.
Yes, the addition of new product is recommended because its net present value (NPV) is positive.