Problem 4: Equivalent units for materials and conversion costs
Problem 4 (a) – weighted average vs FIFO method
TK Company has two processing departments – Department X and Department Y. The quantity report of Department X reveals the following information:
Required: Using the quantity report of Department X given above, compute equivalent units for materials and conversion costs under:
- weighted average method
- FIFO method
1. Equivalent units for materials and conversion costs – weighted average method
2. Equivalent units for materials and conversion costs – FIFO method
Problem 4 (b) – weighted average method
For May 2020, the cost department of Abraham Company received the following data from one of its five producing departments:
- Received from preceding department: 50,000 kilograms
- Processed and transferred to next department: 38,000 kilograms
- Work in process ending inventory: 12,000 kilograms
In this department, three different types of materials are added to the product received from previous department. The materials are added at three different stages of production as follows:
- Material M-1 is added when production process starts
- Material M-2 is added when the production process is 25% completed
- Material M-3 is added when the production process is 75% completed
The conversion costs are incurred uniformly throughout the production process.
An examination of work in process ending inventory revealed that 3,000 kilograms were 85% processed; 6,000 kilograms were 50% processed; 3,000 kilograms were 15% processed. There was no unfinished work at the beginning of May.
- Compute equivalent units of production for each type of materials.
- Compute equivalent units of production for conversion costs.
1. Equivalent units for materials
- Material M-1 is included in all the units in ending inventory because it is added at the start of manufacturing process.
- Material M-2 is included in both 85% and 50% processed units because it is added when the processing is 25% completed.
- Material M-3 is included only in 85% processed units because it is added when the processing is 75% completed.
Leave a comment