The Falcon company is considering to purchase a printing machine. The relevant information is given below:
- Cost of the printing machine: $150,000
- Annual cash inflows: $45,000
- Useful life of printing machine: 15 years
- Salvage value (Residual value) after 15-year period: $10,000
- Annual cash expenses: $5,000
Falcon company uses straight line method of depreciation. Salvage value is not taken into account for calculating depreciation for tax purposes. Tax rate of Falcon company is 30% . Company requires a 14% after-tax return on all investments.
Required: Compute net present value of the printing machine.
Net annual cash inflow = Annual cash inflow – Annual cash expenses
= $45,000 – $5,000
*Value from “present value of an annuity of $1 in arrears table“.
**Tax savings from depreciation tax shield – depreciation is a tax deductible expense.
The printing machine has a positive net present value of $40,402 that makes the machine an acceptable investment.